You can get an encumbrance certificate online in AP now. In order to get it you have to perform the following steps.
- Go to the website http://igrs.ap.gov.in/
- Click on Citizen Services -> Encumbrance -> Search
- Click on Yes I agree in the screen that appears
- Fill in the entries that appear in the search screen. You will have to get quite a few details in so it will help to have a copy of the registration document available with you.
Why is Encumbrance Certificate needed in buying a new property?
- EC is the best certificate of a land issued by Govt. Of India for verification of the land where your property is standing.
- EC of a property lists out all the previous and current buyers/sellers of the land you are purchasing. Anyone buying new property can go and verify the current owners of the property that is shown on this certificate in the column Name of PartiesExecutant(EX)&Claimants(CL) with the copy of the registration documents given for verification. This way you can satisfy yourself that you are buying a genuine property with no other claimants.
- EC is required by bank as a verification document to process your loan when you are buying a new or resale property.
- For those who already own the property you verify that your name is appearing in the column Name of PartiesExecutant(EX)&Claimants(CL) as the current claimant of the property.
Tips to find EC online when buying a new property in Andhra Pradesh
- Open the website http://igrs.ap.gov.in/ in Internet Explorer rather than Google chrome or any other browser.
- The website is very slow and does not respond many times. You need to show some patience and keep on refreshing the page.
- Give as few details as possible and click on search. It will then display a whole set of certiticates. Select all and submit and it will open all the certificates. Once you get all of them search for the one you want and then in the column "Vol/Pg NoCD No Doct No/Year[ScheduleNo]" search for the Doct No/Year. Go back to your original list of encumbrance certificates where you selected all earlier and only select this one doct No/Year and you will get the certificate you want. Its just you need a print out.
Will soon add the procedure to get the EC for the property physically from the office. If you have any questions let me know.